Responsible for conceptualizing, writing and producing effective, innovative and compelling advertising work that will be noticed both by the target group, appreciated by client and applauded by the advertising industry.
This position is responsible for producing copywriting work on assigned clients / accounts / projects / campaigns.
Produce outstanding award winning creative work within the scope of the brand and creative brief supplied by client.
How you’ll be spending your time
- To act as directed by the Creative Director and / or Group Head as directed by the Creative Brief
- Copy checking
- Ensure deadlines are met
- Presentation of work to the Creative Group Head and/or Creative Director
- Together with an Art Director, generate effective, innovative and compelling creative concepts for individual ads or campaigns based on sound strategies
- Pro-actively identify creative trends and opportunities
- Direct and produce effective, impactful and compelling advertising that reflects insight into the task, the brand and the target market
- Write print copy and scripts for electronic / digital media
- Select voices, sound effects, music and music composers that fit the project and the budget
- Direct radio and TV soundtracks towards a high quality final product
- Strive for excellence
- Back-up proof-reading of “non product and price” copy
- Present competently in reviews and to client, articulating clearly the creative rationale for the work being presented
- Meet all deadlines
- Take ownership of your tasks and actively manage the creative process to progress towards deadline
- Adhere to and support agency systems
- Maintain good working relationships within the agency as well as with clients and suppliers
- Conduct yourself in a disciplined fashion
- Project a positive and professional image of Y&R internally and externally
- Respect company equipment and time
- Will defend the agency’s point of view but not to the point where it is counterproductive
- Adhere to systems and business processes
- Accurate and efficient use of systems in the departments
- Comply with Chase system
What we’re looking for
- Tertiary qualification in Copywriting or English
- Courses in Copywriting
- 2-5 years advertising experience , preferably in Digital environment (not applicable for light weight)
- Copywriting background
- Conceptual and exceptional advertising ability
- A portfolio that reflects creative copywriting proficiencies (not applicable for light weight)
- Excellent command of English as well as sound spelling and grammar skills
- Flair for writing imaginative, broad, intrusive, creative and original work
- Understanding of advertising as a selling tool – not someone with only literary, editorial, journalistic or screenwriting talents
- Ability to deliver creative work of distinction
- Computer literate (MS Word, Internet, e-mail, Keynotes etc)
- Capability to take on campaigns with multi-element tasks which requires a concept and a thought through process
- Knowledge of television production
- Accept guidance and respond well to criticism
- Resilient – can accept setbacks
- Finely honed copywriting skills and latest techniques (not applicable for light weight)
- Is articulate
Who we are
Part of WPP, Wunderman is a leading Global Digital Agency with 175 offices in 60 countries.
We are Creatively Driven. Data Inspired. It’s how we do our work and part of our culture. It’s irrelevant the department you work in, we believe in amazing creativity but, also know the importance of combining this with deep rooted data insights.
To engage today’s audiences, we understand that brands must move beyond just product messaging to deliver culturally relevant and emotionally compelling experiences across channels and at the right moment. And we believe our biggest ideas are born out of the collision of creativity and data which we feel is our unique differentiator in the marketplace.
We Inspire Action - ultimately our purpose is to inspire people to take action and this isn’t about just getting people to buy stuff, it’s about inspiring them to support a worthwhile cause or doing something that’s important to people.
To make this happen takes a multidisciplinary team and a collaborative way of working. Based in Sandton, the economic heart of Johannesburg, our SA team of 200 contains a diverse group of talented people. Brilliant creatives get to work hand-in-hand with Data Analysts, Strategists, User Experience experts and Business Consultants working across some of the top South African and global brands.
Our agency offering is focused on the following areas of expertise, each of which are powered by the deep data and insight skills necessary to inspire action in a relevant way:
- Data, Analytics & Insights
- Creative, Communications & Experiences
- Technology–Enabled Marketing
- Academy – training solutions for the evolving business landscape
The Wunderman way of life
At Wunderman we look for the type of people who Inspire Action in their work and interactions.
Our philosophy of YOU TIME underpins everything we do for our people. Whilst you are with us we want you to play to your strengths, have the freedom to bring your whole self to work and exercise your passions and interests within your work. Over the last year at Wunderman, we’ve focused our company around this concept. We want to make our business a place where people are comfortable being themselves, no matter who they happen to be. We don’t want people to simply fit into our culture; we want their unique attributes to add to it.
How to be successful
We want people that live by our behaviours and personality to generate the very best work and promote an environment that supports and develops others whilst they’re doing it.
- Our Personality - Curious, Energetic and Collaborative.
- Our Behaviours - ‘Own it’, be generous and get uncomfortable.
What do we mean by this?
- We want people that are curious to new trends, promoting an environment where ideas flow and expertise are shared.
- We want people that are energetic, who want to roll their sleeves up and get involved!
- We want people that are collaborative, who work well with other departments to get the very best outcome.
- We want people that own it, helping empower their teams to do the same and to take responsibility for the work they deliver.
- We want people that are generous with their time, who will support the wider agency and get involved in initiatives outside of their day-to-day.
- We want people that get uncomfortable and take calculated risks, challenging the status quo.