Responsible for leading and developing a team of strategic digital media leads and digital media strategists in order to ensure strategic bought media solutions are being provided to clients as part of an integrated digital offering.
The individual will need to drive integrated business solutions for our clients with their main areas of expertise being digital media strategy, biddable media (including programmatic) and analytics.
How you’ll be spending your time
- An in-depth understanding of our clients’ business and the macro and micro-markets in which they operate
- Establish and maintain strategic relationships with our clients
- Identify new business opportunities within existing and non-existing clients
- Manage the media business plan and drive strategic initiatives and revenue for the media business
- Responsible for managing a standardised media process across the group of companies and ensuring we are meeting global compliance standards
- Updating our ever adjusting approach to optimal digital media strategy across all bought digital media platforms (including programmatic).
- Utilisation and recommendation of new innovations, technology and opportunities.
- Work closely with the heads of department to ensure we are driving insights-driven work.
- Review the performance of the media team against set client KPI’s and work closely with the second in charge to ensure we are aligned to digital media best practice.
- Nurture a culture of learning and development within the media team
- Develop and foster a culture of ideas and innovation within the media team, agency and clients.
Manage a team of over 20 individuals made up of digital media leads, strategists and campaign managers.
- Assist with training and mentorship around: conflict management, listening and asserting and soft skills
- Individual reviews, mapping of career paths and salary.
- Performance management and disciplinary action where required.
- Help drive collaboration and provide leadership to a multi-disciplined team.
- Review work and provide direction to ensure quality output.
- Attend necessary client meetings where high level strategy needs to be positioned / challenges need to be addressed.
- Drive the Group vision and business as part of the Management Team.
- Assisting on RFI’s/RFP’s and pitches
- Bring digital media experience and expertise to our integrated pitches
- Entering and compling awards for the media division
- Ensure accurate and timely completion of timesheets.
- Ensure timely and efficient delivery of projects.
- Manage media forecast and utlisation reports
- Work with the media Finance Controller and SOX compliance officer to ensure we are meeting global SOX compliance standards
- Plan, agree and reach media revenue targets.
- Be the driving point of contact for all financial mismanagement issues.
- Negotiate all commercials arrangements across : Client (Management fee’s, retainers, discounts and rebates)
- Manage publisher rebate and discount agreements
- Ad-serving and technology licensing and rates
- Ensure continuous business process improvement within Media team
What we’re looking for
- Tertiary qualification or relevant work experience
- Google Advanced certifications (preferable)
- High level of EQ
- Great listener
- Strong mentor
- Able to build strong relationships
- Understanding and hands on experience in AdWords, Facebook Business Manager, Twitter Ads and any other relevant self service platform
- An understanding of analytics and technical platforms is an advantage.
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint/Keynote skills
- Must have been in a senior leadership position within an existing digital agency / digital department with a minimum of 2 years management experience
- A strong digital media background and analytics knowledge are essential
- Strong leadership skills and proven track record of managing a team
- Proven track record of practical yet innovative solutions to problems and/or challenges.
- Proven ability to effectively develop and deliver deep media strategy across all digital media channels and with a integrated digital marketing solution approach
- Awareness of current trends within the digital media and broader digital strategic space.
- Passion for digital marketing, data and insights and content
- Deep understanding of the power of data and how to harness it for accessible insight.
- Training and facilitation skills – internal and client workshops
- Highly developed listening skills
- Superior presentation skills: preparation and persuasion and the ability to simplify complex concepts and make them accessible
- Must have experience in working in Google Adwords, Facebook Business Manager, Twitter Ads and some form of programmatic trading platform
- Strong relationships with digital advertising suppliers such as Google, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
Who we are
Part of WPP, Wunderman is a leading Global Digital Agency with 175 offices in 60 countries.
We are Creatively Driven. Data Inspired. It’s how we do our work and part of our culture. It’s irrelevant the department you work in, we believe in amazing creativity but, also know the importance of combining this with deep rooted data insights.
To engage today’s audiences, we understand that brands must move beyond just product messaging to deliver culturally relevant and emotionally compelling experiences across channels and at the right moment. And we believe our biggest ideas are born out of the collision of creativity and data which we feel is our unique differentiator in the marketplace.
We Inspire Action - ultimately our purpose is to inspire people to take action and this isn’t about just getting people to buy stuff, it’s about inspiring them to support a worthwhile cause or doing something that’s important to people.
To make this happen takes a multidisciplinary team and a collaborative way of working. Based in Sandton, the economic heart of Johannesburg, our SA team of 200 contains a diverse group of talented people. Brilliant creatives get to work hand-in-hand with Data Analysts, Strategists, User Experience experts and Business Consultants working across some of the top South African and global brands.
Our agency offering is focused on the following areas of expertise, each of which are powered by the deep data and insight skills necessary to inspire action in a relevant way:
- Data, Analytics & Insights
- Creative, Communications & Experiences
- Technology–Enabled Marketing
- Academy – training solutions for the evolving business landscape
The Wunderman way of life
At Wunderman we look for the type of people who Inspire Action in their work and interactions.
Our philosophy of YOU TIME underpins everything we do for our people. Whilst you are with us we want you to play to your strengths, have the freedom to bring your whole self to work and exercise your passions and interests within your work. Over the last year at Wunderman, we’ve focused our company around this concept. We want to make our business a place where people are comfortable being themselves, no matter who they happen to be. We don’t want people to simply fit into our culture; we want their unique attributes to add to it.
How to be successful
We want people that live by our behaviours and personality to generate the very best work and promote an environment that supports and develops others whilst they’re doing it.
- Our Personality - Curious, Energetic and Collaborative.
- Our Behaviours - ‘Own it’, be generous and get uncomfortable.
What do we mean by this?
- We want people that are curious to new trends, promoting an environment where ideas flow and expertise are shared.
- We want people that are energetic, who want to roll their sleeves up and get involved!
- We want people that are collaborative, who work well with other departments to get the very best outcome.
- We want people that own it, helping empower their teams to do the same and to take responsibility for the work they deliver.
- We want people that are generous with their time, who will support the wider agency and get involved in initiatives outside of their day-to-day.
- We want people that get uncomfortable and take calculated risks, challenging the status quo.